AJ's Yeast Starter Recipe v2.1The educated reader may accuse me of overpitching the yeast (adding so much yeast that it finishes off the sugars before completing fermentation cycles) but I've not had that problem ... so far.
(add to five gallons of wort)
- 1 pint drinkable water
- ½ cup Dried Malt Extract (DME) — I prefer Light DME.
- ¼ teaspoon yeast nutrient
- Combine and boil all ingredients for about 10 minutes.
- Cool quickly to optimum temperature for your yeast strain.
- If using dry yeast, rehydrate room-temperature yeast for 20 minutes in a small amount of boiled and cooled water. Do not use wort for this step!
- Add ingredients and yeast to a sanitized container and shake to aerate.
- Install a sanitized airlock/foam stopper (or cover container top with aluminum foil)
- Place in a warm, dark place for about three days, swirling the contents every time you think about it.
Here's some additional links on yeast starters:
- BeerSmith - Yeast Starters for Home Brewers: Part 1 and Part 2
- Northern Brewer - Making Yeast Starters (PDF)
- John Palmer - How to Brew Preparing Yeast and Yeast Starters
- BeerDude - How to Make a Yeast Starter